Thursday 29 September 2011

Camera Movement

Pan (or Fast Pan)- can be used to reflect the mood. Often used in conversations instead of shot-reverse-shot. I can use this in my product to create suspense because during the motion of the fast pan, the scene will be blurred which could scare my audience.

Focus pull - getting from one thing to another more dynamically, e.g. in a two shot with one person in the foreground and another in the background, the focus can shift from one person to another. In my teaser trailer I would really like to use this, because it can create an ominous atmosphere if there is a shift from the unsuspecting victim to the villain.

Steadi cam
 - moves along with the action, therefore often used in fight/struggle scenes. Not to be confused with 'hand-held'. If i decide to include a struggle in my trailer, this would be the ideal use of camera movement. In this example, as the Joker from 'The Dark Knight' (2008) moves around the room, steadi-cam is used to follow him. This creates a sense of chaos, as he has come in and disrupted everything. It is also unsettling for the audience because they know he's going to do something bad, which is emphasised by the camera movement. This would be a really good typd of movement to use in my project.

Hand Held - often used to create a sense of realism or amaeurism. Makes the film seem like a documentary. I could use this in my project because it would be unsettling for my audience.

Crane - often one continuous movement. I won't use this in my project because I do not have the equipment.

Tracking -
 This is a way of following the action. I could use this in my project to show the victim/villain running, etc...
In this particular video, at 2:20, the camera tracks, in circular motion, the bar fight scene from 'The Book of Eli' (2010)

Zoom in/out - From a long shot to ECU or vise versa. This could be particularly effective in my project because I can reveal or hide things from the audience to create suspense.

No comments:

Post a Comment