Thursday 15 September 2011

Sound

Sound will be a key ingredient to my teaser trailer because I can use it to create anything I want. E.g. I can use it to create tension, suspense, or use contrapuntal music to unsettle and confuse my audience. Here are my defininitons of the different types of sound within films;

Non - Diegetic sound - is not contained within the film world, so it is put on after filming. Examples would be background music or voice overs. In my project, this will be key because I can create tension using music to accompany my shots and/or use a voice over.

Diegetic sound - is sound contained within the film world e.g. dialogue, footsteps, wind, dogs barking etc... For my teaser trailer, I think it would be good to keep this minimal, because I could occasionally use the diegetic sound to creep out the audience. For example, loud non-diegetic music over my shots and then a diegetic scream at the end echoing as the titles run.

Sound Bridge - is when a sound or piece of music is used to link different scenes or shots in films. I will be using sound bridges in my teaser trailer because I want to use a series of shots with music over the top of it to create a tense thriller teaser trailer.

Example: An extract from Finding Neverland (2004)


 
    For the first minute and a half, only diegetic sound can be heard. Examples in this extract are; dialogue, the dog panting/whining, footsteps, birds singing and the wind/rustle of the trees etc... These are all sounds which are clearly contained within the film world.
     As non-diegetic music creeps in, which is not contained within the film world. It could be argued that when the scene starts to cross cut, that the music is within the film world, but when we see the park it is non-diegetic.
    A sound bridge is used, as the scene from the park cross-cuts to a circus but the music carries on, creating a sound bridge between the two frames. There are several sound bridges afterwards as the scene continues to cross cut.

No comments:

Post a Comment